Anne's Awkward Adventure

A semester's journey into the world of technology.

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

HTML, HTTP, URL...uh oh...


Well this week, we sunk into the meat of technology from terminology to actually designing a web page. The biggest things I learned were how the internet works, different terminology (i.e. HTML, HTTP, URL, etc), application of the terminology (especially HTML). Also, I never knew that protocols existed in web publishing. Now that I know the protocols, I believe I understand my everyday use of the internet better. In addition, I found it interesting that there are established design principles for designing a web page. Now, I understand the need for computer science in education.

I am starting to understand that technology can be useful in the classroom. As a teacher, I believe a web page, updated regularly, would be very beneficial to students and parents. Classroom policies, important dates, updates, schedules, and assignments are a few things that could be posted on the web page. A teacher could create a web page no-matter-what grade level he/she teaches. I believe older students could create their own web pages to relay topics of study especially in history and science because many images could be used. Also, group projects could be coupled with the creation of web pages. This would allow for each member to have input and be responsible for a certain task.

Of course, I am not an expert at this whole web publishing deal. I have many questions. For example, how does the web page from NVu get published? How does creating a web page occur without the use of Home Directory? Do you just use a flash drive, then? How do you create/obtain an html? Hopefully by December, I will know the answers to all these questions.

I find webopedia.com to be a useful site to answer questions I have about computer terminology.

Until next time...







0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home