Anne's Awkward Adventure

A semester's journey into the world of technology.

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Podcasting...I can actually do that?

I was not looking forward to this week's class about Podcasting. Podcasting to me was something other people made and I used for my entertainment. Now, I would have to be a creator. However, the process of making a Podcast is complicated but not difficult.

The first thing I learned was the definition of a Podcast; it is "an audio file hosted on a server that is distributed to subscribers through a feed reader." Furthermore, I now know that a Podcast is composed of narration, a format, an audio file, a place to host your audio file, and a way to subscribe to it. There are different programs that aid in the accomplishment of these aspects of a Podcast. A Podcast can be used for more than entertainment. There are educational Podcasts that, for example, give different foreign language lessons. I found this very interesting.

This week we began group projects where we create our own Podcast. My fellow group member Stephanie explains what our group is doing in her blog.

I think a productive way of using Podcasts in the classroom is for auditory/speech comprehension. For instance, the alphabet could be recorded on a Podcast with adequate silence between letters for students to repeat the sounds of the letters. Also, I think Podcasts are a great way for students to portray work created by them. They could write a story then record it. Thus, they could acknowledge their story and hear how they read. Also, a Podcast could be created of a child reading at the beginning of a designated period and then another made at the end of the designated period. Concrete evidence of reading improvement could be heard. Furthermore, Podcasts are a great tool for blind children.

I wonder if Podcasting is monetarily feasible in most school systems?

Until next time...




2 Comments:

At 3:16 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Hey girl! I loved your comment and I'm excited about our Podcast! haha I was a little worried about podcasting at first too and had no idea what to expect, but now im pretty excited about it :) Hope your week goes well! See you Tuesday!!!

 
At 1:55 PM, Blogger Kristen Miller said...

Hey Anne! Can I just say I love that you spell your name with an "e" on the end? Anyway, I thought your idea to have children record their reading progress on a podcast was really cool. It would be exciting for parents and students alike to listen to it and see how much improvement has been made. Also, I'm so excited that our podcast is going to pay homage to our hometowns. No more people asking me, "Winchester--where's that?" :)
Have a great fall break, and I'll see you on Tuesday!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home