Anne's Awkward Adventure

A semester's journey into the world of technology.

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Class on Halloween, yet no treats?

This week, class fell on the spooky holiday of Halloween. However, class was not too spooky.

Are you inspired? Well, I am--especially after learning the software of Inspiration. It will be an awesome tool to use for preparation in the classroom and for use in the classroom. I learned that this brainstorming software makes diagramming easy. It is an interactive way of teaching outlining while technologically it is easily functional as it allows exports in various formats. Later in the semester, I will use the program to summarize the assistive technology presentations that my group is working on. As for those, my group met today before class to construct our presentation. We used ZohoWriter throughout the week to post our information we discovered.

Language Arts, Mathematics, and Science are subjects we have explored the use of technology in. Consequently, this week we learned how to effectively use technology in Social Studies. The most common uses in the classroom include: virtual field trips, Geographic Information Systems, and digital primary sources. Katherine and I had a lot of fun using Geographic Information Systems. (We found our apartments, our 'real' homes, and the White House.) These programs allow students to obtain more hands-on experience with the information. Also, it allows students to connect all information retaining to a concept.

I definitely will use Geographic Information Systems in my classroom. Although I find it a little creepy how accurate the program is, it will allow students to gain another perspective of their community and local. Furthermore, I believe I will use virtual field trips in my classroom. For example, my practicum this semester is in a first grade classroom. That class recently visited Luray Caverns. The teacher tried to prepare the students for their adventure but still remained nervous about their reactions. A cave virtual field trip would have helped in preparing the young students.

I have two questions this week. How am I going to balance all the technology I am learning in the classroom? I guess, I will just have to wait and gauge my students and the school environment. And, where were our Halloween treats? Getting out of class 15 minutes early does not count.

Until next time...

2 Comments:

At 11:11 AM, Blogger Sara F said...

Hi Anne,
I really like your idea about using a virtual field trip to prepare students for a true field trip, especially if the teacher is feeling unsure. It seems like a great way to prepare and excite students about an upcoming trip. I wonder if that would take away from the trip itself and students reactions once they are there. I think at some point I will also try these out, but will have to decide if I want to use them if the students are going on a true field trip to the same or a similar place.

 
At 11:59 AM, Blogger Curby Alexander said...

OK, so I should have brought treats to class. I guess I just follow the lab rules way too closely. But I did try not to tell so many corny jokes ... shouldn't that count for something?

Nice job on your blog!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home